What is New in Knee Replacement
If you are considering knee replacement surgery, there are new developments under study which can help enhance the quality of life. These include:
- Use of cementless parts that allow new bone to grow into a porous prosthesis and hold the parts in place, creating a biologic fixation
- Use of bioactive joint surfaces such as hydroxyapatite
- Use of mobile-bearing knee replacement in which a polyethylene insert creates a dual-surface articulation by articulating with the femoral as well as tibial components. This will enhance the life of the implant by reducing wear.
- Development of systems with improved kinematics
- Better fixation
- Use of navigation-guided surgery that involves the use of navigation-guided instruments with smaller incisions and less tissue damage.
Only suitably-trained surgeons with various skills offer these procedures.